Friday, June 16, 2006

When The City Lost It's Light

Sounds like pretty deep words for a title, huh? Actually this post isn't a sermon or some deep metaphor. Two days ago a large part of Piedras Negras lost power around 2 am (Thursday morning). I'm not positive what happened, but the repairs required a new transformer from Brownsville I believe.

For the next 24 hours we went about our day with no power, both at home, and at the school. But ya know what, it wasn't so bad after all. I mean, you realize that there is no point griping or complaining about being hot, and after all, it's just sweat. We even have the priveledge of learning how to sleep when it's 90 degrees in your house. What you do is avoid fluffy or soft beds, they'll cause you to sweat even more. You'll want to sleep on the floor or a hard surface, on top of one blanket or something. Caleb and I took a great nap during the day Thursday, and the Lord did bless our city with strong winds to help. The thought of Roberta (the missionary I posted about earlier) spending 2 years with no electicity or fans where it gets up to 120 degrees helped as well.

That's about it, thanks for the continual prayer support, continue posting comments, they're a real encouragement! However, because of security issues where we are located, please refrain from using words such as toot and porker. It's like elementary school all over again. Dios te bendiga!

Chris

"Do all things without conplaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world..." Phillipians 2:14-15

4 Comments:

At 6/16/2006 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

I haven't used this yet, so I hope it works.

Happy Birthday!

I really hope you had a great day. You have been in my thoughts and prayers today as I think back through the years. I have been praying that God will bless your ministry there and that, epecially today, He might use you and reveal Himself to you in a unique way.

I am so proud of what you are doing and the passion you have for ministering to others. Mom and I both look forward to reading your posts and to hear how God is working in your life. Though we can't be with you physically, we are with you in spirit.

We miss you!

Love,
Dad

 
At 6/17/2006 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, I wanted you to know that I just sent you an email. Sometimes my "junk mail filter" actually filters out real mail, so I just wanted to give you a heads up in case that kind of thing ever happens to your emails as well. You are super cool, and thank you so much for sharing all of this with anyone who chooses to read it.

 
At 6/18/2006 7:57 AM, Blogger Holly said...

There´s a shout out to you on my blog for your birthday... hope it was great! I really did think this was going to be a deep metaphor, thanks for letting me down Chris. It´s kinda nice to go without AC, it strips you of your flesh and centering on your own wishes. I´m not saying you´re selfish... but I understand because there is no AC here in Spain either and it´s a nice character builder.

Hang in there and keep working hard even when it´s hot! You are doing great, and we are all proud of you and praying for you.

 
At 7/18/2006 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cris,

It was so great to read what you have written here. It really ministered to me and encourages me to serve others and not to complain about anything. I am the worst about wanting air conditioning. I have thought that I could simply not sleep if it was 90 degrees. But you have the secret to many problems here: adapt - don't complain. I will try to apply this to challenges I face. Sleeping on the floor and being thankful for a little breeze is a great way to go. - Dave Edwards

 

Post a Comment

<< Home